I’m not just grateful on Thanksgiving, I’m grateful always, as you know. Sometimes it’s really difficult to find a grateful thought when you are struggling but if you really get into the mindset of gratitude…..there will always be something to be thankful for! Practiced regularly, a grateful attitude will bring JOY into your heart.
I missed my Music Monday yesterday, so I will add a song at the end of this list to make up for it 🙂
Here are my top 10 things that I am grateful for on this Wednesday before Thanksgiving ~
1. Left over Halloween Candy 🙂 mmmmm…….it’s part of the fun of having 3 kids! They have no IDEA how much candy they have! I know, I know, I’m really healthy and I juice every morning, I’m gluten free and I eat organic, true, but sometimes a girl just NEEDS a mini Hershey bar, or 5, you know??! That GIANT bowl of candy, on top of the fridge is mine, ALL MINE, after the little monsters go to bed…..if they only knew how much of it I’ve eaten. I believe that I’m saving them and their teeth by indulging and making it go away faster!
2. Best Turkey EVER!!! Okay, I have made a Turkey a couple of times in my life and every year, it’s a new experience, sometimes, I feel like I left it in the brine too long and it’s too salty, other times, I think I left it in the oven too long and it’s too dry, it just depends on the year and the day that I’m making the turkey. WELL, I made Thanksgiving dinner ALREADY this year! I made it this past Sunday because my girls are heading north to spend Thanksgiving with their cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles, in North Carolina. I am spending my first holiday away from them so I decided to DO THE HOLIDAY a couple days before! The day worked out PERFECT and so did my Turkey. The way that I make my turkey is pretty consistant…but this year, something happened…something MAGICAL…and it was THE BEST TURKEY EVER!!!!!!!!!
The way I make it is usually the same, so here goes……
I soak the turkey in an ice water brine for 8 hrs the night before, 1 1/2 cups of salt per gallon of water.
I oil my Turkey with olive oil, salt and vinegar and I stuff it with stuffing…Betty’s Crocker’s recipe, circa 1950, WITH GLUTEN FREE BREAD….it was DELISH……
Under your Turkey, it’s good to have some flavor from some root veggies, they will steam under your turkey adding moisture AND flavor. This year, I put parsnips, carrots and onions, the amount varies but it was somewhere around 3 parsnips, 3 carrots and one onion, just big chunks of them in the bottom of your roaster, rack over it, turkey on top. As the drippings drip down from the turkey, they will land in these veggies…..yum!!
I baste the turkey, every hour at least, with all of those veggies flavoring your the broth….THEN…..this year, a new touch….
I topped the Bird ( whom my girls named Fred) with BACON this year! It was left over from my spinach salad and I just draped 8 slices of raw bacon over the top of Fred….
When the turkey got to 165 degrees, I took him out and it was THE BEST!!!!!
After taking out the Turkey, I strain the veggies out of the broth before making my gravy, you can also use an immersion blender to mix the veggies right in before making your gravy, but this year, I strained and my Mom made the most delish gravy that I’ve had!
That’s how I make my Turkey, tell me how you make yours in the comments, I’m always looking for new ideas to try, tell me tell me!
3. My HAIR girl!!! Are you looking for a new stylist??? I just had to mention my girl Jenny at Salon West! Incredible…..she was on maternity leave all summer and I missed her so much, now that she’s back, so am I, my hair looks so good that even my ex-husband mentioned it today, wow, now that’s good hair… Jenny is knowledgeable and capable, she does an amazing job of listening to what I want and also executing her style into it….my hair looks better today than it has in years!!! Thank you Jenny!!
4.Christmas music, ah Christmas music, some is so beautiful and amazing and nostalgic and others are just so awful and annoying. I decided years ago to put together a long Christmas playlist in my iTunes library and on my iPod so that I could listen to the songs that I love. I’ve attached three of my favorite albums here and also put one of my favorite songs for you to listen to below. These are a few of my favorite albums, it was hard to narrow it down, but here goes…
Jersey Boys – Season’s Greetings – this is if you’re in the mood for upbeat, fun Christmas music!
Celtic Christmas – something a little different but beautiful and soothing, soft, quiet Christmas Music…
Barbra Streisand – THIS IS MY FAVORITE, Classic and Beautiful and reminds me of being a kid in the snow in Michigan, Babs has a ton of Christmas Albums, but this is the first and the best, my parents actually had the record. Get this one if you don’t already have it, this is the album that I’m posting a song from today at the end of this post!
5. THE CCCCCCCOLD!! I am leaving for Michigan Thursday morning and I have not felt cold like what is predicted in a solid 12 years, I CAN’T WAIT!! I don’t have the proper clothes, no snow boots, and very few warm items, after so many years in California and Florida, my supply is dismal but I’m still really excited to be there and FEEL MICHIGAN! Check out these boots, I want some! I love all the different colors, they look warm and cozy too…..Winter stuff has really improved, hand warmers? Geez, where were these when I was young!?
6. Moving, yes, I’m grateful that I’m moving in one month! I’m not looking forward to the actual move part of things but I am actually enjoying the packing and clearing out of old junk! I have moved so much in my life and I swear it has prevented me from becoming a hoarder. It’s forced me to simplify and not collect too much stuff. I’m a little worried about the girls , especially my little Tess….moving can be so stressful for kids, I found this cute book though! I’m getting it for her today for sure…In the meantime, I will simplify, then pack, simplify, then pack, then repeat that process for the next month….feel free to come over any night and help, I’ll provide the wine!
7. I have to say how grateful I am for my Thanksgiving celebration that I hosted last Sunday. It was not on the actual Thanksgiving day, but it was so worth it. When I first heard that the girls’ Dad wanted to take them to North Carolina for the holiday, I kind of panicked….then it hit me, what I was really upset about was missing out on OUR tradition. So, we didn’t miss out on our tradition, we had it and it was perfect, I am truly blessed.
8. I LOVE yummy smelling, all natural body products, I mean I really LOVE them, hence the ad for Juice products here, on my blog ( YUM), but I am also a sucker for a small local business just trying to make their way in this world and boy did I hit the jackpot with this company!! My Mom bought some of the soap for my cousin’s baby and it smelled so good on her sweet, soft little face, and then my Mom bought me a lavender soap that is just delish …. check out this website for awesome stocking stuffers and natural body care gifts for your loved ones! www.pamperedhearts.com
9. Vitacost!! I get so frustrated when I hear that people go to a small health food store and spend hundreds of dollars on supplements, that is the most PREMIUM prices out there!! I LOVE Vitacost. Look on the right side of my page here, scroll almost to the top, under my Calm Community Acupuncture logo and you will see a link to Vitacost. Seriously, these are some of the best prices out there on supplements and all natural food products.
10. Coffee, coffee, GOOD COFFEE….I must admit, I buy the cheapest coffee out there most of the time. Costco has 2 lbs of Maxwell House for so cheap that it’s hard to resist. If I’m going to splurge, I like to buy the free trade, good for the environment, good for the workers, expensive, Columbian dark roast. However, I must admit that those are often TOO EARTHY for me and I have trouble LOVING them. On Sunday, at my Thanksgiving dinner, my Mom brought me Starbucks Medium Roast Breakfast blend….wow….I know Starbucks is a bit cliché and all and I must admit that many of their coffees ARE TOO EARTHY for me but this Medium Breakfast Blend is SO GOOD that I might have to spend the money and buy more. I know some say caffeine isn’t good for me but I just LOVE it too much to give it up!
Well, I did it, I came up with ten things and now, I can think of even more! That’s what happens to me when I start to focus on grateful thoughts, they breed more grateful thoughts….I really enjoy Thanksgiving, it’s a non denominational holiday, almost EVERYONE in America celebrates it. Isn’t that cool? I mean, with a few exceptions, the majority of Americans will sit down tomorrow with at least one loved one and enjoy a meal. That’s just the coolest holiday EVER, food, family, loved ones and left overs…..LIFE IS GOOD
After tomorrow, the Christmas season is OFFICIALLY upon us! My Safety Harbor clinic is offering $5 acupuncture treatments to anyone and everyone from 10-4PM, walk ins only…what a deal! Here’s a one of my top 5 favorite Christmas recordings to start off your holiday season!!